Web Domain


A Blog That Will Helping You About domain web hosting,domain hosting,web domain and domain name registration.

Subscribe to My Feed
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Directories

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do I Need A Website?

It is a question I often asked myself as I was starting an Internet Business. Having had no prior knowledge of how to build a website I really didn’t know where to start. Or why I should start one. I had joined several programs that offered “FREE WEBSITES” So why did I need one of my own and a domain name!

What in heavens name was a domain name?

If you are like me, and there are millions of us out there, you did not grow up with the Internet jargon. Domain referred to a piece of land usually ruled by a single ruler, I believe. I had to become a ruler of a piece of land in order to be an Internet marketer? Doesn’t make sense, does it?

Well thanks to the education I was able to give my sons and daughter, I learned about domain names, websites, cookies (I thought I knew what those were, I eat enough of them), cache, and a lot of other terms that to me have double meaning. It was a long, long, journey from there to now.

Domain names, as it was explained to me, are somewhat like a piece of land, only in cyberspace (another word I had to learn). You own the name. Why they just don’t say so, I’ll never know. Everything has to be a mystery word!

So I purchased a domain name. Only I couldn’t name it what I really wanted, because it was already had a copy write. Days, weeks, of trying to come up with something original yet still pertaining to my business. It came to me in the dead of night. If I left out the letter “o” I will have hmewrk (wrkhme was already taken!) one step further….for you. Only I had to shorten that, why I am not really sure, my son said to do it so I did it! Thus was born my domain name.

Now the scary part… I had to register it. Registering your domain name is like copywriting your articles, or ideas. But how did I do that? I had help in the form of a group of people who have made my life easier…no not my children…TOPS. I happened on their forum one day while surfing the net. (I am learning the jargon) I found a group of people like myself who did not grow up with the Internet, but are making a living on the Internet. I could ask questions and not feel stupid. OK I admit I did feel stupid on a few of my more bizarre questions, but they were always answered. Sometimes with a lot of humor, more often than not with honesty.

I have my domain name; I’ve registered with a hosting company. NOW I NEED A WEBSITE!!!! Again back to TOPS. Most everyone there suggested NVU. Why? I asked. Because it is an editor, you don’t have to know html code. HTML? Oh, goodie. A new word! It was explained to me by my son, who is now my favorite although that can change daily, that this is the language the computer understands when it is looking something up. Shorthand for the computer: I took shorthand in college, way back, I understand.

Before I knew it I was building a website like an expert (that’s another article I wrote). I was even writing HTML. I published my first website, only one page, but it was a website. I have since added to the site with other pages and linked (I am beginning to love this computer speak) them together.

So to answer the question: What good is a website? Well besides the satisfaction of proving to your peers and family that you do know something about the Internet, you have a workable page that you can alter to fit your needs for advertising whatever business or businesses in which you are involved. Most of your major search engines will not advertise the generic websites you get from your companies, so you now have a website to promote and to get your business on the web. You can advertise your webpage, with your content, your ideas, and have the satisfaction of knowing that you can do it. Once this hurtle is taken Internet Marketing is your next hurtle!

On to the next hurdle!
Nancy Kraska

http://www.hmewrk4u.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nancy_Kraska

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home